- Our biggest tip that will save you a huge amount of time: IF IT FITS IN A BOX, PUT IT IN A BOX.
- When packing fragile items such as china, crystal, glass etc. wrap in BUBBLE WRAP or PACKING PAPER. Wrapping your breakables correctly before packing them in a box will guarantee that the items will survive the move.
- Properly label the boxes in order for the movers to know how to handle your belongings. Labeling the boxes will also help the movers know where the boxes should go in the new location.
- Double check that your boxes are properly sealed on the top and bottom. Discount Moving suggest you use 3 slightly overlapping layers of tape for both sides.
- Stray items should be put into a box or taped together for easy carrying and storing. This simple task will save you time and money.
- Packed boxes should never weigh more than 40 lbs. Moving boxes are made out of cardboard not wood. Over packing a box will only increase the risk of the box breaking and your belongings being damaged.
- Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- The busiest time to move is the beginning and end of the month; Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your day.
- As soon as you decide it’s time to move, it may be a good idea to start deciding what is going to the new home, and what is going to Goodwill or curbside pickup.
- If you have kids don’t forget to arrange to transfer school records at least two weeks before the moving day.
- Schedule disconnect times before your move day.
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, lawn services about a week before the move.
- Mail in your change of address forms about week before your move date.
It is against DM policy for customers to help move household items when on the move; hiring insured movers guarantees we will get the job done, without injury.
If your move is longer than 5 hours; DM Movers will take a break that will be excluded from your total time.
Discount Moving is a Word Of Mouth company, a representative will give you a follow up call to rate our moving performance.
When interviewing moving companies, make sure to ask if they are licensed, insured, if they hire full time help, and if there are ANY hidden fees that they might not volunteer in a cold call.